Monday, February 18, 2008

alexithymia

anyone ever heard of alexithymia? well it is a disorder in which one has trouble feeling, describing, and/or expression emotion. i don't know how i found this disorder, i'm sure i was surfing for something stupid like baby clothes and made my way to it. and i am not a hypochondriac (because i really don't think it is a fatal disease...), but for some reason it sparked my interest. i've been told on MORE than one occasional that i was really rational. being rational is a "symptom" of not having emotion (not feeling emotion - "concrete, realistic, logical thinking, often to the exclusion of emotional responses to problems"). so i wondered what this was all about. i found this quiz (go here to take it for yourself) and it turns out that accd to this quiz, i have it. my score was a 120 (113 and up are the magic numbers). (by the way, the evaluate test results link doesn't work, so you'll have to add the numbers up yourself). so i don't really think i am emotionless, i just thought it was really interesting that there is a name for folks who aren't drama lovers. :)

1 comment:

  1. I do find that fascinating. I was told once that I had a tendency to come across cool and uncaring and unemotional (Mr. B probably wonders what ever happend to THAT person!) In fact, I was told that, when asked how I felt, I DESCRIBED the situation but not how I felt about it.

    I didn't like being that way so I made an effort to "feel more" which has sometimes really sucked but in general I think it is better for me.

    However, I am still able to turn off feeling when need be. I suppose that is a protective mechanism.

    So, I'd probably have answered the questions to this test in a considerably different way five or six years ago.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...