Tuesday, June 2, 2009

ten cow wife

First, let me start by saying that Kendal has an "Animal Babies on the Farm" book that he loves. One of the pages is a picture of a calf and it says "My mommy is a cow!" We always laugh at that (because when my back is turned, it is like they are saying I'm a cow). Haha. OK, to my point. On Sunday, we, or at least I, had a eye-opening experience in Sunday school. Our teacher, of whom we have only been to the class twice (so it seemed weird, almost intrusive, that we were learning about his personal life) opened up about his marital problem(s). I won't get into the details of it, since it is mostly irrelevant to this blog topic except that he told a story during the class that really stuck with me! And so today I remembered to search for it online... and I found it! It is too long to post on my blog, but I can assure you that it is well worth your time. The story was published in Reader's Digest (Feb. 1988). (click on that link to read the whole story, otherwise, here is the short "blog friendly" version:) It is the story of Johnny Lingo, a man who lived in the South Pacific. The islanders all spoke highly of him. He was strong, good-looking, and very intelligent. But when it came time for him to find a wife, people shook their heads in disbelief. The woman Johnny chose was plain, skinny, and walked with her shoulders hunched and her head down. She was very hesitant and shy. She was also a bit older than the other married women in the village, which did nothing for her value. But this man loved her. What surprised everyone most was Johnny's offer. In order to obtain a wife, you paid for her by giving her father cows. Four to six cows was considered a high price. The other villagers thought he might pay two or even three cows at the most. But he gave ten cows for her!! Everyone chuckled about it, since they believed his father-in-law put one over on him. Some thought it was a mistake. Several months after the wedding, a visitor from the United States came to the Islands to trade, and heard the story of Johnny Lingo and his ten-cow wife. Upon meeting Johnny and his wife the visitor was totally taken aback, since this wasn't a shy, plain, and hesitant woman, but one who was beautiful, poised, and confident. The visitor asked about this transformation, and Johnny Lingo's response was very simple. "I wanted an ten-cow woman, and when I paid that for her and treated her in that fashion, she began to believe that she was an ten-cow woman. She discovered she was worth more than any other woman in the islands. And what matters most is what a woman thinks of herself." Isn't that just a wonderful story? I sure am lucky to have a husband who treats me like a ten-cow wife.

3 comments:

  1. YOU sure are lucky to have a man who treats you like a 10 cow wife. It bears repeating.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only are you lucky to have a man who treats you like a 10 cow wife, but you are lucky that you recognize that fact. Perfect story to start my day. Tracie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME Story!! Have heard and/or read different versions over the years but truly appreciated the extra insights and comments from the American visitor's perspective which I had not heard before. I agree! A story truly worth repeating to men and women in marriage or seeking marriage partners. That is, you get out of a marriage or relationship what you put into it. Marquisha H.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...