Thursday, April 24, 2008

incorrecto numero



for the past week, i've been getting several calls from "RESTRICTED" at 2 and 5 am. yesterday, however, it happened during the day. so, i answered. someone, male, speaking spanish (slurring) said something to me at which time i replied "you have the wrong number." then he started saying more words, and i said slowly and louder
"Y O U H A V E T H E W R O N G N U M B E R "
(like if i said it louder he'd understand my english).

well, he called back 3 more times, within 10 minutes. this was about 3pm yesterday. how in the world do you say "you have the wrong number" in spanish?????

later, around 9, he called again (several times). the first time, though, nathaniel answered and said "que pasa me amigo" then he smiled and listened, and hung up. said the dude was obviously drunk.

drunk all day?

so last night at 1.3o and again at 3.30 (am), i had 2 more calls from mr. restricted.

what am i supposed to do? i called alltel. can't get his calls blocked, neither can they identify who he really is (since his number is restricted). my only option is to change my number. the number i've had for 7 years - and it is on 1000 business cards!!!

i have chosen not to change my number yet. i did, however, have my voicemail reset with hopes that i could leave the "computer voice" on there. however, that did not work, i have to verbally change my message in order to ever listen to any i receive. so, i have a new voice message on my voicemail. and it doesn't have my name on it. (if you listen carefully, you can hear rocket singing in the background - he was in the bathtub!)

any advice? what should i do? what should i not do? my only ideas is from now own, i will answer and hangup (in one swift motion) when he calls. i just have no idea what to do that will WORK to make him stop calling my WRONG NUMBER! (how do you say "STOP CALLING THIS NUMBER" in spanish?)

4 comments:

  1. I had the same problem right after college. I would start screaming at the phone "WRONG NUMBER" or "STOP CALLING". Nothing worked. Eventually, I got a new number -- but I would have anyway. I don't know what you can do. Maybe he'll sober up :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't answer it! Keep it on silent at night and just don't answer. I won't answer a call unless it identifies itself on cell or home phone. Only call we get that says private is Butch and it is only at night about 7pm. That one I answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he knows he's got the wrong number and he is enjoying pestering you. I agree with Dena; just ignore/don't answer if it is a call from a restricted number for a few days. If it does turn out to be someone you needed to talk to, they'll leave you a message. Chances are if you are not playing the game with him, he'll get tired and start calling someone else (just don't give him MY number :-) )

    We have had similar issues with our home number, or, somewhat similar. Collection agencies calling for some dude named Jeff Perry. I've told them countless times that there is no Jeff Perry here, but, I'm sure they get that all of the time (when someone is trying to dodge collections). So, we simply stopped answering the phone. We let the machine get it, we listen, and, if it is someone we want to talk to, we pick it up as they are leaving a message. Probably 9 out of 10 times, whomever it is just hangs up.

    BTW, I don't know Spanish but you could scream BASTA! at him, which is Italian for ENOUGH ALREADY! It's probably something similar in Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of just giving the phone to Nathaniel to answer, every time he calls... Especially since he knows Spanish, correct? What did the dude on the other end say the first time NT listened to him ramble? And, didn't he just say in Spanish 'No mas'?! ;) Maybe you could just learn how to say "Next time you call, I'm calling the authorities" to him...

    Speaking of which, I've learned how to say in Spanish "buffer zone", to tell all of the Hispanic work crews that are constantly cutting in there... ;) (Zona de protectione los arbores, or something like that...)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...