Monday, April 28, 2008

lima bean hour


there is a blog that i frequent. i have to do it on the down low, for reasons i won't mention. it is one of the 2 (or 3) sites a visit on a regular basis in which i never comment or let my presence be known.

so recently, on this blog, the writer posted a wonderful poem. really, s/he is on a poetry kick right now. most of them i do not connect with. but this one, i did. i just love it. i've read it every day for weeks now.


You do not like them but I do.
So the times when you are away
are some of my favorite hours.

I soak them overnight
in a large pot
and use the same white bowl.

hot enough
to melt three pats of butter
that I stir in with a fork
and cover with salt and pepper.

The first taste is a sliding headlong
into the gorgeous oblivion
of God's vegetable graciousness
and it is lovely.

Perhaps if you liked them
we would eat them all the time.

Perhaps if you liked them
I would never have loved you at all.

3 comments:

  1. I BELIEVE I KNOW WHO WROTE THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that I know who wrote it... and I lurk there too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only lurker left! I was extremely upset when I read most of what was written so I stopped going there for a while...but I missed him! Sometimes he is so right on the mark about what he writes. Other times he disgusts me because I believe him to be just a storyteller, not a truth-teller. But reading his words helps me to know him just a little bit better and that has to be good, right?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...