Monday, August 22, 2011

I am among those who think that science has great beauty.

This is a surprise post for ya.  Something way out of the ordinary for me. I have this huge urge lately to USE my camera, but on some different things (besides my kids).  I found this quote and thought it appropriate.

I am among those who think that science has great beauty.  A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician, he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale. - Marie Curie


My laboratory is the Earth and the life that occupies her, and my camera is my microscope (or hand lens, depending on if i'm being a photographer or a geologist!)


This weekend, dad's yard was covered in tons of tiny mushrooms.  Unfortunately, I did not have my camera.  Today, though, I scoured our freshly-mowed lawn for some.  It rained several inches last night so I thought for sure I would be able to find one.  I found three (disappointing).  One was cute as a button, one wasn't quite "up" yet, and the third looked like a rock - not really photogenic.

This picture isn't the greatest, but i think it introduces the setting for the little guy.   This little spot looked like a secret garden - for a toad, or a fairy.
 
 
Behind my shoulder was this sun peeping in between the leaves...


Now, zooming in a little... this is a perfect spot to find a little toad!  I actually don't know the difference between a "toadstool" and a "mushroom" (unless one isn't edible and one is...).  Non-the-less, isn't this just the most adorable little mushroom?  You can even see the sand grains on top of it.  It is sorta like a newborn mushroom! (If you click on the picture, it'll open up larger than what you see here...)

 In a different area of the yard, I took a picture of my fossil and rock collection (pile).  It looked pretty good in black and white. 

I have other pictures to post but i'll do that in another blog.  I need opinions about editing...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...