Saturday, June 28, 2008

girl with a pearl earring


this months book club meeting was my month to host, and my month to pick a book. i picked girl with a pearl earring by tracy chevalier.

this book is fantastic, but mostly i think i like it best because it is a story based on and about art, and a young dutch girl's love and appreciation of art. interestingly enough, on tracy chevalier's website, she discusses her inspiration for this book: "The idea for this novel came easily. I was lying in bed one morning, worrying about what I was going to write next. (Writers are always worrying about that.) A poster of the Vermeer painting Girl With a Pearl Earring hung in my bedroom, as it had done since I was 19 and first discovered the painting. I lay there idly contemplating the girl's face, and thought suddenly, "I wonder what Vermeer did to her to make her look like that. Now there’s a story worth writing." Within three days I had the whole story worked out. It was effortless; I could see all the drama and conflict in the look on her face. Vermeer had done my work for me."

i sure wish i could paint a picture like that. whether in words OR in art.

well it had great reviews by the book club attendees also. this is our first book that EVERYONE liked. we all agreed that although it isn't the "best" book we've ever read, it is quite pleasant to read and the pace and the story keep you interested from cover to cover.

incidentally, a movie has been made based on the book. i watched the movie probably 5 years ago and i liked it when i saw it. i also liked the book.

so... who else has read it? how did you like it?

4 comments:

  1. I liked it. Thanks for recommending it! You really should take on The Red Tent next :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely read The Red Tent. A FANTASTIC read. And, The Joy Luck Club (which I think I loaned you). It's hard in places but oh so good.

    I really liked Girl...

    Her other book about the tapestries is not quite as good, but, still very readable!

    I think the movie was ok; not as good as the book, though, which is typical, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking about Mrs B's comment... I am reading Into the Wild and cannot imagine the movie being better. You should read it! It is WONDERFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read the book girl with pearl earring by Tracy chevalier.
    it is a good book and I enjoyed that book.but I think the love
    between Griet and Vermeer ,only it is a teenager love for Griet
    but Vermeer ,I do not know how he could love her as yet 6 children .
    anyway I like this type of love and I like very much to watch the film
    until I can compare between film and book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...