Thursday, July 24, 2008

Do mosquitoes have a purpose?



Do mosquitoes serve any positive purpose or is their sole job is to bite and annoy humans? Would the world “miss” mosquitoes if they disappeared? After reading an article in the July issue of Carolina Country, a magazine provided by our electric company, I learned that mosquitoes DO serve a purpose. I know, I know, I couldn’t believe it either.

Did you know that not only bats primarily rely on mosquitoes for food, so do spiders, birds, and fish?

... only female mosquitoes bite?

... like bees, mosquitoes pollinate plants?

Lets consider this scenario: If mosquitoes weren’t around, spiders would have nothing, or very little, to eat. If the spider population decreased, other bugs that didn’t eat mosquitoes would increase. That would mean more bees, wasps, hornets, and horse flies. Hum. Which hurts worse... a mosquito bite or a horse fly bite - or bee sting?

Even though they might be a nuisance at times, I suppose they are beneficial to not only the environment, but also to other animals in need of food. In other words, even the most annoying things in the universe contribute to the “circle of life." I still hate mosquitoes but at least I no longer wish for their complete eradication. One step at a time, right?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...the ONLY way for dogs (and cats and other animals) to contract heart worm (what Lucy had) is through a mosquito.

    So, I'm sorry, I still vote to annihilate their asses! I never want to have to go through that again (and no one else likely does, either!)

    We were just SO lucky we caught it early.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...