Monday, December 7, 2009

sad to see this in the news

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4907655/

saw this story on the news tonight and immediately had to to find it on wral.com.

i used to work with this fellow when i worked with DOT.  way back in 'the day' - back before his apparent crooked days.  back when i met him and worked with him, he was one of the nicest guys in the office.  he was always helpful and went out of his way to get me what i needed.  he had a daughter and, since i was the only female who went in the field (and then there was only one other female - the administrative assistant), he really looked after me.  he never gave me a hard time and tried to teach me all he knew about drilling.  for example... you know how, as a woman who knows little about cars... if your car was making a noise and you didn't know why it was doing it, you'd call a mechanic and say "my car is going blebhhhh blebhhh" - well, he'd take my description and tell me what to tell my (usually stumped) drilling crew to do to fix it.  in that, i learned a lot about drilling and engines and motors and moving parts in general.  and i know that it is he that i have to thank for that knowledge.  he really was a super guy.

but unfortunately, things change for people.  rather, a series of both misunderstood and unfortunate events can happen around a person that can affect said person so much that it changes the core of who they are.  and, i guess that is just what happened to him.  and it is SO SO sad to know that i was near him when it happened.  (and when i say near, i mean i was close enough to hear stories.  unfortunate events + small town = gossip.  and i don't particularly like gossip, but, those things did change him.  because he pled guilty.  and the man i knew would never do things like that.)

this brings me to one of the "worst case scenario" i can think of, and it happened to my sister's old neighbor.  they were a family of 5, and now a family of 4.  they lost the baby at about age 3 to brain cancer.  sarah parker was her name.  well, those parents (and her brothers), well they clearly have experienced a series of unfortunate events.  those type events can change a person (and a family).  i suppose there is a fork in the road in a situation like that and you can choose to take the angry road or you can keep on praying and, although you may still not understand, stay on the holy road.

i hope that none of my friends or family or myself ever reach that fork.  and if you or i do, i hope we choose the right path.  and, i hope it isn't too late for my old friend.  i know he was a good man.  i hope he can remember how great being that way felt like.

2 comments:

  1. Nice summary of how much of the story doesn't get put in the paper... I've had similar experiences on a smaller scale with another of the principals involved in that story, and I observed the same things about the fellow who I worked with that unfortunately seems to have taken the wrong fork... Every time I look at my Pitt Co. Soil Survey, I'm sort of reminded of it... But, I always add a third fork (or a fork branching off of the first fork in the path...), and sometimes these events can even change people to improve themselves, make them stronger at some point... In fact, sometimes they need that challenge to remember what they used to be. Hopefully, in all of these cases, that hope can be fulfilled...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew...I didn't click on the link until after I read the article and for a moment, I was worried you were talking about that child molester guy who is also in the news right now.
    Something like that (being a child molester) doesn't happen over night.
    Anyway, nice blog about how things are not always as they seem.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...