Thursday, October 9, 2008

how about a funny story about my mom and nathaniel...

recently, as most folks have noticed, there have been an abundance of dead animals on the road. i suppose it is that time of year again when the deer run hard at night, as do dogs in heat and other random animals. anyway, because of a dead deer on the side of the road near our house, i have to tell you a funny(ish) story. it is about something that my mom and nathaniel have in common... a WILD imagination! (and, appropriately, they DO happen to both like the beatles!) i suppose i'm glad they both have this kind of imagination, it suits mom well while she is doing her job (teaching 3 year olds how to play and pretend)... and as far as nathaniel, well i'm sure that one day this imagination will come in handy (like when our kids want to play and pretend) for something other than just humor. first, my mom: long time ago, mom had maybe some teeth removed or a kidney stone or something and she was in the bed, doped up on codeine for pain. now the ceilings in my parents' house is made of wide tongue and groove wood. i guess it is pine, it has lots of interesting wood grain patterns. anyway, my mom swore that she saw jesus in the wood. she also saw a beaver and who knows what else. she pointed at the animals (and jesus) on the ceiling to nathaniel this past summer. i'm not sure if he could see them, but i'd say it was quite likely. (this is not the wood from our house, i found this photo online). now in her undrugged state, she has sworn to see bear in the field behind our house. now i'm not questioning her ability to identify animals from a distance, and in all reality it IS possible that there was a bear back there... but it just isn't likely. maybe once every other year some hillbilly redneck in some county north and west of raleigh spots a young male bear and kills it. but generally the eastern black bear is only found east of I95 (in the coastal plain). but i can remember more than once that she thought she saw a bear... even if it were road kill. for nathaniel: when he moved to franklin county, right after i moved in (or was it before?) he SWORE he saw a dead bear on the side of the road. turns out it was a dog. how do we know this? because my mom, in her ever-going desire to prove to everyone she DID see a bear, drove to it and looked. it was a big black dog, she claimed. nathaniel was disappointed it wasn't a bear. last fall, he got home and told me that he saw a dead pot belly pig on the side of the road (near our house). hum. where did a pot belly pig come from? well, i suppose it COULD HAVE been a PBP, but... the next morning (in daylight) it looked more like a beaver that had been hit maybe 2 days prior and it was quite swollen. one day last week he told me that there was a dog on the road... it was a trashbag (again, this was at night). this past weekend he told me about a dead pig on the road (all these road kills are along moore's pond road). he told me about how big it was, how pink the belly was, etc. well when we drove by it, it was a deer. so now anytime we (i) see a dead animal...i say something ridiculous like "oh my god, did you see that dead camel on the side of the road?" haha.

2 comments:

  1. Granted, most if not all of these sightings were at night, and I was most likely not wearing my glasses like I should!

    Also, you forgot the best part of the Jesus story. The time when I said...

    "Dene, how about you take me to your bedroom and show me Jesus."

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Analee, it was a bear. We found the pawprints before it rained and dad agreed that they were bear prints. By the way, Your uncle LS chased a bear out of his front yard in Louisburg this past summer! Ask him!
    And Nathaniel, I put you on the waterbed and climbed in right beside you--just like I do Kendal! You might not have seen Jesus right then but you did see the beaver, the duck, and the solar system. The next time you are on codeine or something for pain, I'll be glad to show you Jesus again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...