Thursday, November 20, 2008

Welcome to Fate - Part 1 of 3

fate n The cause, force, principle, or divine that will predetermine events; The effect, consequence, outcome, or inevitable events predetermined by this cause; Destiny. After reading the comments for my baby sister's blog, I've come to the conclusion I need to write this blog for my middle sister. This is no secret, but long time ago I was married. About a year later (actually a year to the day - June 12th), it ended. I could have a blog in itself as to the events that led up to it, but I think it is safe to say that the end of my marriage was a surprise to everyone, including my ex. Subsequently, there was a separation, then a divorce. This blog series are the events that happened during that time... as I remember them. [ BACKGROUND INFO ] My middle sister has always been very religious. I have not... previously I either didn't believe, or I didn't act as though I believed. I am a Christian now, I believe that Jesus died for my sins, I admittedly am a sinner, and I also believe in the power of forgiveness and prayer. To this change I can thank my sister and my ex-husband who was also a devout Christian.
"For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away." Malachi 2:16
"Putting away" is the Old Testament term used for divorce. It comes from the Hebrew word shalach, and literally means "to forsake, to cast or push away."
[ WHAT I REMEMBER ] When I separated, my sister had just moved to Missouri the month prior, she was stationed at Fort Leonardwood - and we didn't see her much. The months that followed my separation were a time of change for me. I was dealing with my own reality of failure (in a marriage), and also having to announce it to my friends and extended family made it none-the-easier. Her disappointment in the fact I was getting a divorce angered me, which in turn angered her... The results of this anger? We didn't talk for quite some time. I even remember that the first time she came home (probably in September), mom was worried about the [silent] war that was going on between us. But the visit home came and went, no fighting (I'm sure we were both biting our TONGUE just for the sake of our mother). So sometime between her visit home and when my Grandfather died (late October I think), my sister apologized to me for being mad about my separation/divorce. We made up, and all was well in the world. [Don't leave Part 1 of this series thinking my sister is a bad or mean person because she is not. Like our grandma (Tuter), we are both very opinionated, stubborn, and strong-willed... plus she has red hair! These attributes (both in myself and in her) can sometimes make communication difficult, but always in the end our love for each other and our families wins - and the issues loose significance.]

4 comments:

  1. Ever since this particular fight/argument, I have tried to be less judgemental -- I know now that you KNEW he wasn't the right one. Even if you hadn't been sure, what right did I have to judge your decision?!? I think about this often and still feel like a putz for it!

    I think I have become a better person because of how BAD a sister I was to you then.

    Forgive me?

    And, of course, I had to eat my words! I think I said something like -- "You are horrible for getting divorced. Marriage should be forever!" and then fell in love with a man who had been married... hmmm. Yummy, yummy CROW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... and though you say you shocked us all, I think we all knew something was amiss when you were vomiting on your wedding day. I mean, I did too, but mine was morning sickness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I'll tell you one thing... I don't remember the fight. i remember the fight about the infamous clogs that lasted forever but not this one...i think i was oblivious to a lot of things then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yea, i remember the clog fight too. lol, i'll let melissa blog on that one.

    unlike the divorce argument... the clog one occured with way to much alcohol! lol.

    good times.

    (ps, melissa, i forgave you when you apologized. i still remember what happened, but in an extremely positive way - i'm glad i could open the door for rob, even if it took a small battle and a divorce to do it!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...