Saturday, November 22, 2008

Welcome to Fate - Part 3 of 3

Before I left, I applied for a Hydro II job with the Express Review Program. While I was gone, one of the Express Review people in Raleigh had a meeting in Washington... and I suppose someone told him that I had applied for the position. So, when I got back from vacation, I had a note on my desk that said something like "Heard you applied for the job. Good luck. Hope you feel better." I should have saved this note because it was from Nathaniel, someone who I knew I'd met before, but I couldn't really place a face with his name.
(Get it? It's a LOVE note!)
So I emailed him to thank him for the well wishes, and to let him know I wasn't sick, I was just visiting my sister who didn't have a baby, etc. This led to daily emails of "Did she have him yet?" and after a week of still no baby, "I bet you a beer he'll be born tomorrow" (I won that bet). So after a month or so went by... I claimed my prize (the beer) from the man I had since gotten to know through endless emails. We then went to visit my sister at NCSU (where we watched some of "What Women Want") then to the Flying Saucer - and after too many bad khaki pants jokes and a sighting of someone else I dated a long time ago, the night ended. (Nathaniel would tell you that it ended with a cold shoulder from me!) A week later, I had my last "forced" date with JB (free dinner was what I consider it to be)... we hadn't seen each other in nearly a month however he wanted to take me out to dinner for my birthday. So I went, it was horrible, we didn't talk, it was very uncomfortable, and that was the last time I saw or talked to him for a LONG LONG time. The next night, after my birthday, I went to dinner with one of my friends, who after SEVERAL drinks (for both of us) grabbed my phone when I had a text from Nathaniel... and invited him down for the upcoming weekend. I didn't have the heart to uninvite him (he seemed excited to visit Washington) - I was unsure if I wanted him to come down, but in the end I suppose I'm glad he did. He came down that weekend, wore shorts rather than khaki pants, a T-shirt (blue one) rather than a Charlie Sheen shirt, brought me a birthday present (MST3K DVD), and then he recognized a Badly Drawn Boy CD in my CD case (he'd be my first friend to even know who he was, let alone recognize a CD without their name on it). The rest is history. And now i'm the one with 1.9 kids! (Kind of a weak ending to such a long story, but my point in it all was that fate twisted around to help both my sister AND me in the end! Like childbirth, the brief pain and suffering was not without reward!)

2 comments:

  1. I like "fate" stories and pondering how each path we walked down and each fork in the road we came to (and made a choice which way to turn)led us to where we are at this particular moment in time. And so it continues! And, also, how the choices OTHERS made ultimately brought them in (or took them out)of our lives.

    Like I said earlier, I really do believe that everything happens for a reason.

    Now, if you were more of a pack-rat, you might of kept that note
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exs, couldn't have the alphabet without them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...