Saturday, October 22, 2011

workable weekend - tomato and chickpea soup

my sister made this soup and raved about it - she gave me the recipe online and i didn't make it.  first of all, i'm not a fan of chick peas.  i DO like hummus, but chick peas any other way just don't appeal to me (i think they are pasty and dry).  so, though she said it was really good, i didn't trust her. (my mistake!!!)

weeks later, she brought a little bowl of it home.  it was cold, and she said "try it!"

it reminded me of a time back in the mid-2000s when one of my friends and i went to a resturant in greenville (fancy to me at the time, but that is representative of my budget at the time) and i got a bowl of tomato bisque (i think that was about all i could afford).  i remember when i was eating it, that i thought it was the best tomato soup i'd ever eaten and it was hardly plain like a can of tomato soup (which was what i expected) as it was so flavorful - and i tried to make it but i never could really master that recipe.

anyway, this soup instantly brought me back to that moment and i realized that she gave me this recipe and i COULD make it.

so, though i still haven't made it, i'm making it for work next week.  we're moving to a new office and i'm not sure if there will be a microwave available.  i was trying to think of something to take to work that didn't have to be warmed - and i HATE peanut butter sandwiches - and i thought of this!  i can't wait to make AND EAT it.  it is wonderful.

here's the recipe in case you want to try it too.  it is super easy, inexpensive, and simple.

In a blender, combine 1 can chickpeas, 2 cloves of garlic. Process until finely ground.

Add 1 can diced tomatoes (I used Italian style with spices), 1 tsp ground cumin, 2 tbs lemon juice, 2 tbs olive oil, 1/2 cup milk (she used lactose free, i'll use regular milk), salt and cayenne to taste. Blend until smooth.

Heat on stove until warm (or not).

1 comment:

  1. You HATE peanut butter sandwiches? What's wrong with you? :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...