Friday, August 28, 2009

bad grocery baggers

yea, ok, i know i have some OCDs.  when my kids aren't with me and i can actually "enjoy" a trip to the grocery store (i.e. spend more than 10 minutes to spend $100), i do think about what i'm getting and read just about every label and compare every price AND look for coupons in my coupon envelope.  (kids with me - no chance of any of that happening - i have to stick to the list and get in and get out quick!)



today i went to food lion with no kids.  when i unloaded my cart onto the check-out counter, i laid everything out in order so that it would be easy to bag AND all the big (TP, drinks) stuff was together, all the boxes were together, produce, bread, cold, etc. presumably making it easier for the bagger to bag everything in a decent order.

apparently there is an art to bagging groceries. and i know it but not everyone does.


long story short, today i had a bad bagger.
even worse, today my bad bagger was combined with a bad checker-outer.  she grabbed stuff from all over the check-out counter/belt thingy.  i did most of my birthday-party shopping, which involved buying several of each of these things: 5 boxes of juice packs, 4 applesauce packs, 3 raisin boxes, 5 cake mixes, 5 frosting mixes, etc. and some other things that we just needed for our regular week.  so, i placed those things all together on the belt assuming she'd be able to ring them up together and THEN bag them together... like i wanted.

no such luck.  she grabbed a bag of raisins, a gallon of milk, a sleeve of oranges, a bag of chips, bagels, cheese, TP, coke, you name it - all random.  and that is exactly how it ended up in the bags, and in my car, and in my kitchen.  WHY OH WHY didn't she look and see that i had it organized before she started checking me out? 

such is life at food lion.  it is one of the reasons i don't like shopping there.  i prefer lowes foods because in general, they have better baggers.  and, i don't mind paying a little extra for that (though for the most part, i don't think they have much higher prices!  their generics rock and much of the time their specials are more special!  i just never buy meat there.  that is really expensive.  same goes for target. expensive there too.  but, they have good baggers at target!)

and in case you're saying to yourself "you should just use the self-checkout line if you want it bagged your own way!" - i had way too much stuff for that.  my cart was overflowing as it was.  and, half the time i use the self-checkout lanes, someone that works there will come over and bag it for me anyway!  especially at lowes foods.  and, that gets on my nerves too.  maybe what i was buying in the "self" service lane was private and i didn't want anyone to see it!  anyway, not that that has been an issue, but i prefer the self lanes to be for self only.  and keep away if you are buying alcohol.  that isn't self, that requires help.  go to a regular lane!!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Lowes Foods does have good sales on meat from time to time. They had London Broil 75% off (and it wasn't near the expiration date, either). I bought several packages of it and ended up saving more than I spent. I love it when that happens!

    The Food Lion by our house is not too bad but that is probably because it is relatively new. I've been in some pretty skanky Food Lions.

    My favorite store in the area is Kroger but it is now too far away.

    I long for the grocery stores in California. Ralphs and Vons.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, after reading this, I like you more. A lot more. Don't you wonder if the bagger has ever bought more than one bag of groceries at a time? And unloaded them? Ok, was it a man?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was actually two women. a woman checker-outer, and a woman bagger. both were young though. young enough to likely neither have children nor ever bought enough groceries in one visit to warrant more than two bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would love me as a cashier. I bag stuff very nicely. I watch my coworkers literally throw stuff in the bags. We are timed for items per minute that we scan, but I just can't lower myself to not keeping bags straight, and organized.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...