Tuesday, August 4, 2009

snake on the rock

here is the snake that i mentioned yesterday that i saw on the rock outside (almost center of the picture, looks like a crack in the rock - head to the left and his head is UP also). it wasn't really long, but it was black (in color) - from the way it reared its head and from the way and speed in which it moved, it may not have been a black [rat] snake. obviously, i didn't see its belly. my gut tells me it wasn't a black snake. i've never seen a black snake move like this one. it was fast. i'd put my money on a racer. and if that is the case (that it was a racer), i hope i don't see it again!!!

3 comments:

  1. My first guess before reading was racer... They tend to have real long tails like that... Also, like you mentioned, they are scarey-fast... I've walked up on about 5 in my time in the work-woods... If you'da grabbed him, you'da found that he was the only "large" black snake with smooth scales... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been an abundance of snakes in our neighborhood of late. I think the ones here are rat snakes (probably keeping the local rat pop down which is needed since so many folks are NOT keeping their lawns/slopes mowed/whacked).

    I haven't seen one yet but Lucy may keep them at bay (if the snakes have any communication with the local frog pop, they'll stay away from here!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me forever to find the snake! How did you see it from your window? We have had our share of snakes here lately, too. How about those pythons taking over the Everglades? Just be glad you don't stumble upon something like that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...