| Thirty things that change when you have a baby by Rebecca Woolf |
Last updated: November 2006
1. You finally stop to smell the roses, because your baby is in your arms.
2. Where you once believed you were fearless, you now find yourself afraid. [not only for the safety of my child, but also for the safety of myself because i always want to be there for him!]
3. The sacrifices you thought you made to have a child no longer seem like sacrifices.
4. You respect your body ... finally. or, after 2, have i just given up? ;)
5. You respect your parents and love them in a new way. [this one in particular touches me because i find myself amazed and indebted because i KNOW our parents loved us as much as i love rkt. it is a feeling that leaves me speechless and sometimes in tears. not sad, just overwhelmed with love.]
6. You find that your baby's pain feels much worse than your own.
7. You believe once again in the things you believed in as a child.
8. You lose touch with the people in your life whom you should have banished years ago. [you also learn pretty quickly the people that REALLY matter and love you more than you knew!]
9. Your heart breaks much more easily.
10. You think of someone else 234,836,178,976 times a day.
11. Every day is a surprise.
12. Bodily functions are no longer repulsive. In fact, they please you. (Hooray for poop!) [i also find myself TALKING about these body functions. not really at the appropriate time either.]
13. You look at your baby in the mirror instead of yourself. [i wish i could double bold this one!]
14. You become a morning person.
15. Your love becomes limitless, a superhuman power.
And from our readers...
1. "You discover how much there is to say about one tooth." — Ashley's mom
2. "You finally realize that true joy doesn't come from material wealth." — Anonymous
3. "You now know where the sun comes from." — Charlotte
4. "You'd rather buy a plastic tricycle than those shoes that you've been dying to have." — Sophie's mom [i know melissa will second this one]
5. "You realize that, although sticky, lollipops have magical powers." — Roxanne
6. "You don't mind going to bed at 9 p.m. on Friday night." — Kellye [as a matter of a fact, you look forward to it!]
7. "Silence? What's that?" — Anonymous totally. i don't think my kids ever shut up!
8. "You realize that the 15 pounds you can't seem to get rid of are totally worth having." — Brenda [they may be worth having, but i still don't want them!]
9. "You discover an inner strength you never thought you had." — Ronin and Brookie's mom [like to overcome a fear of spiders just so your kids are scared of them! my kids aren't really scared of anything! except the easter bunny and santa! haha]
10. "You no longer rely on a clock — your baby now sets your schedule." — Thomas' mom
11. "You give parents with a screaming child an 'I-know-the-feeling' look instead of a 'Can't-they-shut-him-up?' one." — Jaidyn's mom
12. "Your dog — who used to be your 'baby' — becomes just a dog." — Kara [this goes for cats too!]
13. "You take the time for one more hug and kiss even if it means you'll be late." — Tracey
14. "You learn that taking a shower is a luxury." — Jayden's mom
15. "You realize that you can love a complete stranger." — Dezarae's mom